Clutch Pencils

So what's the difference between a 'Clutch Pencil' and a 'Mechanical Pencil? Well technically all the pencils that have a spring-loaded or twist-fed holder with lead that extends as the lead is used up, are mechanical pencils. But what you'll notice is that the term ‘clutch pencil’ is often used for the 'lead holder' or the pencils that are thicker, up to 5mm and 5.6mm in size. Smaller mechanical pencils ranging from 2mm in size will usually be referred to as 'draughting pencils' while the term ‘mechanical pencil’ applies to the thinner lead holders. The last type is the most common type you'll generally find when browsing stationery stores or if you were to search the term 'Mechanical Pencil'.